Did you know being just 20% overweight puts a dog at risk for developing many serious health issues? Weight gain indicates an increase in body fat and usually results when your dog eats too much and exercises too little.
Other factors that may impact your dog's weight gain include:
- Age - older dogs are less active, have less energy, and require fewer calories
- Neutering/Spaying - studies have shown that neutered dogs have a lower basic metabolism and, consequently, require fewer calories
- Medical Problems - sometimes weight gain is associated with a medical disorder
Every dog has an ideal weight for its size and breed. Ask your
veterinarian for a recommendation or use this
Interactive Weight Check tool to help determine your
dog's ideal weight.
What can you do?
- Get with the program. If your dog is already overweight, a program like the Hill's PetFit™ Challenge can help. It's a complete plan of action - with tools and expert information - for optimizing your dog's weight. An active, healthy and happy life is the greatest gift you can give your best friend!
- Talk to your veterinarian. Take your dog for a thorough examination and health check. Ask your vet to recommend an ideal weight for your dog and tips for achieving that goal.
- Get active. Dogs gain weight when they consume more calories than they burn. Increase your dog's physical activity with longer walks and more play.
- Curb treats and snacks. The calories in treats and snacks can really add up. See the impact of those "little extras" with the Hill's PetFit™ Treat Translator. Reward your dog with non-edible treats, like a belly rub or a few minutes of playtime.
- Feed a lighter formula. The most effective way of achieving a healthy weight is to combine increased exercise with a change in food. Consider switching to a high quality food made just for dogs that are too heavy or are prone to weight gain.
Science Diet® Light Adult Canine Dry
dog food is formulated especially for adult dogs that require fewer calories:
- 30% less fat and 19% fewer calories than Science Diet® Adult Advanced Fitness Original formula dog food
- L-Carnitine converts fat into energy and helps maintain lean muscle mass
- High in natural fiber to satisfy between meals
- Vitamin C + E for healthy immune function
- High quality protein helps maintain strong bones and muscles
- Great taste! Precise blend of high quality ingredients for a taste your dog will love
Click here to learn more
Vets' #1 Choice to Feed Their Own Pets®
Hill's® Science Diet® Brand